I had the awesome pleasure of recently visiting Budapest, Hungary. It was my first time outside of the United States and definitely a big culture shock! With my gluten-free diet I was also a little nervous. But to my surprise, eating over in Europe is surprisingly almost easier than it is here in the states.
There are pretty much cafes on every corner, all with more natural food; salmon, chicken, steak, etc. Greasy fast food just isn’t as predominate over there. My favorite dining experience was at a little placed called Drop, an awesome gluten-free Budapest restaurant.
Drop Review – Gluten-Free Budapest
About midway through my stay in Budapest I was finally comfortable walking around the city and not always having to hold out my phone GPS like a tourist. One night I decided to walk over to a little place a 4 or 5 blocks from my Airbnb.
The place was called Drop and had some decent reviews online. The entire restaurant is gluten-free and the atmosphere of the place is great! The menu itself is in both Hungarian and English for easy ordering.
I decided to try the beefburger with french fries, cheddar cheese and coleslaw. This came out to ft 2750, or about $9.80. The awesome thing is that in the US you would have paid $20+ for this same meal. And all I can say is that it was amazing! Probably one of the best gluten-free burgers I have ever had. Not sure what they are using for their bread, but it was delicious. Not the crappy Udi bun option you typically get in the US.
I had such a good experience the first night that I decided to go back the next night! I got my same table and decided to try the next thing on the menu. I got the penne with salmon, cream and parmesan. This cost ft 2450 or about $8.70. And again, it was just mind blowing!
The staff was very kind and constantly checked on me to fill up my lemonade and see how I was doing. I could tell the waiter didn’t speak very good English, but it didn’t matter much as most people in Budapest understand English just fine.
Drop Restaurant Details
Drop Restaurant (linked to Google maps, for those of you using your GPS to navigate the city)
hajós utca 27
It is pretty easy to find and on the Pest side.
Monday – Thursday 08:00 am – 00:00 pm
Friday 08:00 am – 01:00 pm
Saturday 09:00 am – 01:00 pm
Sunday 09:00 am – 00:00 pm
Drop Gluten-Free Menu
Here is the complete Drop gluten-free menu. Again, everything there is 100% gluten-free.
- Grilled “Alföldi” smoked ewe-cheese with ratatouille
- Mozzarella di Bufala with dried tomatoes and balsamic vinegar salad
- Tomato bruschetta with fresh herbs
- Beef steak tartare
- Cheese composition for 2
- Cheese composition for 4
- Penne with salmon, cream and parmesan
- Penne pomodoro with grilled chicken
- Breaded chicken breast with french fries
- Confit duck leg with rosemary steak potatoes and braised purple cabbage
- Salmon steak with white wine lemon sauce and grilled vegetables
- Baked trout with garlic herbed blanched vegetables
- Honey roasted French rack with grilled vegetables and rosemary potatoes
- Grilled goat cheese with hazelnut spinach salad and sage oil
- Sesame fried crispy chicken steak with fresh mixed salad and honey-chili sauce
- Filet mignon Drop style with rosemary potatoes and roasted tomato
- Aged Brasilian filet mignon with fresh ratatouille and steak potatoes
- Fridatto style broth
- “Hortobágyi” Grey cattle goulash soup
- Strawberry soup with mascarpone cream and whipped cream clouds
- Toscan tomato basil soup with mozzarella
- Grilled chicken salad with pineapple and spicy sauce
- Goat cheese salad with dry cured ham
- Classic Caesar salad with garlic toasts
- Caesar salad with grilled chicken breast
- Caesar salad with tuna
- Chickenburger with french fries, cheddar cheese and coleslaw
- Beefburger with french fries, cheddar cheese and coleslaw
- Salmon burger with french fries, cheddar cheese and coleslaw
- “Gipsyburger” with french fries, cheddar cheese and coleslaw
- Sponge cake “Somlói” style
- Heavenly carrot-cake with mascarpone glaze
- Belgian chocolate tower
- Light strawberry cream cups
I was in Budapest for a week and ate at a lot of different places. But the two meals I had at the Drop were the best of the trip! The staff was courteous and kind, the food was out of the world, and drinks were great. I only wish they had one here in Scottsdale! If you are ever in Budapest and looking for gluten-free Budapest restaurants, I strongly urge you hit up the Drop.
Drop Gluten-Free Budapest Restaurant
- Gluten-Free Options
If you are looking for a great gluten-free Budapest option, then the Drop is a must! Their entire menu is gluten-free and trust me, you won’t be disappointed.